Wednesday 9 September 2009

Road to Recovery: Unleashing The Wild Physique






Yesterday, I had decided to keep it old school. Gironda protocol was calling me. In the 1960's Vince Gironda's unique training system and ideas were quite controversial. His methods got unquestionable results. In 1965 he became a house hold name when Larry Scott won the IFBB Mr Olympia. Gironda's gym churned out several champions over the years attracting such names as Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I was in the Vauxhall area so decided to hit South Bank gym. While still a commercial gym in all respects they have a decent weights room, and lurking in the corner I spotted a lonesome Trap bar. I hadn't seen on of these for a while, so I grabbed it and got to work.

Here was my routine

Warm up:

Joint Mobility
Skipping 3 min x 3 rounds (20 seconds rest in between).


1a)Trap bar 10 reps x 10 sets (80% Max: 30 seconds rest in between)

1b) Bench Press 10 reps x 10 reps (80% Max: 45 seconds rest in between)

2a) Jack knife into Pike 5 reps x 5 sets
2b) Torso Twists with plate 12 resp x 4 sets


3a) Rotator cuff cable exercise 12 reps x 3 sets


Cool Down and Stretch



Here is a rare clip of Vince as the 1980's lycra generation was about to get into full swing.


No comments:

Blog Archive