Friday 15 June 2012

Do Something That Scares The Sh*t Out Of You














By Coach Cj Swaby

Its easy to get caught up in your own hype. It seems there are limitless strength and conditioning experts lurking in the depths of chatrooms and Facebook posts touting the latest system, plugging their products. But how many of them put themselves on the line? How many of them step into the arena and leave themselves open to public scrutiny, praise or even ridicule and actively compete?

How many walk the walk? Few will put themselves on the line. I've never been one to shy away from a challenge and when Andy McKenzie of Training Lab said he was putting on a Strong Man contest at the end of July I was filled with excitement and doubt.

Doubt because I have never competed in anything like this before, nor have I had experience with Log Lifts, Truck Pulls, Car Deadlifts and the like. It was the fear of the unknown, whether or not I could actually do it.

Aware of the story I was running I shut that book real quick. I got excited. It would be a great challenge that would take me outside my comfort zone. In the process I would learn more about myself and add a new skills set to my tool box. Not only that I would have the opportunity to compete as part of a high calibre team that would force me to raise my game and improve my performance. Plus I was competing in the individual events too.

In the process we would raise money for a worthwhile charity, that can mean the difference between life and death, and a bright future for children in Swaziland. It would surely be worth it.

My first port of call was to create an action plan. I checked out the events and evaluated  my performance, to see what I would have to do in terms of preparation so that I could give the competition 100% holding nothing back.

I had no experience in the Log lift, and my Farmers walk needed work. So I took steps to rectify the situation, getting coaching from Andy McKenzie to improve my game.  Now that I know what I have to do for my physical preparation the event seems less daunting and more exciting. I know that my mental preparation will also be key.

Having competed in full contact combat sports I'm no stranger to working user pressure, and will make sure that on the day mind body and spirit will be in alignment. I know that my team mates, Matt Whitmore of Fitter London, Bj Rule of Optimal Life Fitness and Nick Rouse of Thames Crossfit will be on point too.

To grow you must do something that challenges you, and stretches you beyond your comfort zone. Do something that scares the sh*t out of you. Why? Because its great fun.


With 7 weeks to go, I will be posting about my journey to Bigger, Faster Stronger Strongman event.


African Village School Fund is a UK based Charity that can mean the difference between life and death for the children of Swaziland, providing them with food, education and a brighter future.






No comments: